Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Memory

March 12, 2008
This day, actually month, has been very significant to me for the past 2 years, but this year was different. For some reason this month approaching was no different than any other month and u until now this day wasn’t either. I don’t really understand how I could have possible blanked, but I did. Maybe it is because I have been really busy, and have A LOT of things on my mind, or maybe it is because I am slowly forgetting. Is that normal? I’m afraid that forgetting the day means it looses its significance.

Ok so I am sure that many, if not all of you, are wondering what I am talking about. Today is the 3rd Anniversary of when my grandma passed away. As I said earlier this month came and felt no different than any other and so did today. I was sitting at my computer a few minuets before three when the date started to ring familiar in my mind. I thought to myself how in the world did I almost forget. Looking back at the last couple of days I don’t really know how I blanked because she has come up in at least to conversations. One the other day with my history paper because we were talking about how I am part Indian because my grandma was and the other time was just yesterday when I was talking with Kristen White. She asked me about the frog necklace which I wear EVERY day, and I told her that it was my grandmas, and she gave it to me just before she died.

I guess that I am not as concerned that I almost forgot the day, but I am concerned that I will forget her. Sometimes when I think about her, it is like certain things are missing. I sometimes can’t picture her, just the way I think she was. I can’t remember the sound of her voice and sometimes I can’t remember her laugh or her smile. I only vaguely remember the way she slept and the funny things that she said, the few times she talked in her sleep. They were the topic of conversation for me and my mom at the time. Why can’t I remember now? Well this is turning into a really long blog so I just want to end it with a picture and a bit of what I do remember about her. Thank you for reading!!





My grandma Doris was a beautiful woman. Eighty four years of age, but surly did not look it. She had few wrinkles, and earned those that she had. She was average in height and weight. She had short black hair with few grays; you would never know it was straight because she curled it every day. She had light skin with a slight yellow tint. Her eyes were bright blue; if someone looked deep enough, he or she could almost see her soul. Above them were thin eyebrows, somewhat penciled on. And her smile was gorgeous; it would melt a persons’ heart if they let it. My grandma had an original scent. She smelled of Ponds cream and Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit gum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

awwww...vonnee you're so sweet! im glad you were able to share great memories with such a wonderful woman! I pray the Lord helps you to always remember those great things!!!